Here’s a budget to follow for residential ground mount projects.
Assumes sandy clay soil. A different strategy is needed for rocky soil.
$0.12/W Balance of System
$0.22/W Equipment Rental
$0.22/W Shipping to Site
$0.22/W Design and Permit Documents
$0.44/W Installation Contractor
$0.28/W Estimated Taxes / Fees
- Buy a ~25 module pallet of liquidated monosilicon 72 cell solar modules from a top global manufacturer. I like to track pricing at Jay’s Energy. Using a current 310W pallet gives us 25/24 modules x $0.42/W = $0.44/W + 1 extra module!
- Buy a 6kW SMA SunnyBoy with Secure Power-Supply for $1600 on Ebay. $1600/24/310W = $0.22/W. Recommend installing the SPS panel INSIDE the house BEHIND the inverter.
- Buy a Schletter FS racking system for 72 cell modules ~$0.22/W. This is a quality, “utility-scale” style rack.
- Balance of System Equipment / Concrete Budget = $0.12/W
- Shipping budget $0.22/W (ship to site, lift gate, off-loading area required, give racking plenty of lead time)
- Equipment rental $0.22/W. Bobcat + Trencher
- Design and Permit documents $0.22/W
- Installation Contractor $0.44/W 2-3 man crew with with Bobcat/Trencher Experience